Sunday, August 22, 2010

HR or Market research? which career path should i take?

I recently graduated with my master's degree in industrial and organizational psychology (applied social psychology). I really like Training and Development, and ultimately want to end up in that feild. But right now I have Market Research experience so I am having more luck finding Market Research analyst positions than HR positions. All the HR positions require at least 2 years experience and still pay low (even for someone with an M.A.). Should I look for market research jobs now and see if I can apply market research experience to HR further down the line?

HR or Market research? which career path should i take?
What's your main priority? Money, career, easy life?





If you prefer an easier life and lesser money as your mentioned, then just go HR.





I think with market research job, you'll get to developed your career further especially when you are out in the field, your opportunity of meeting more people would give you better chance of achieving goals in life. These people you meet might even help you in future, in case you really decided to move to a HR job. If you would to work as a HR now, you'll end up looking at the same faces and newcomers but when you wanna get a new job, you'll need to go through the whole process of applying and waiting.





I feel that market research would be a more challenging and a less routine job also.





So ask yourself honestly what you want.
Reply:I am in HR. I just got my bachelor's degree and have my first HR job that pays horrible. However, you usually have to work your way up in HR to get the better paying positions. HR Managers and even generalists can make very large sums of money. HR jobs are definitely hard to find too. But you have your Master's degree, and often the jobs require a master's degree OR 2+ years experience. It's really up to you. My sister works in marketing, and the pay is comparable.


No comments:

Post a Comment