Thursday, August 19, 2010

What is marketing information system ?

i do not know what is the difference between marketing information system and management information system.


Also what is the difference between marketing information system and marketing research ?

What is marketing information system ?
A marketing information system (for me as a marketing pro) is commonly what people would also call either a CRM/Customer Relationship Management or SFA/Sales Force Automation system. Essentially, those systems give me a picture of all interactions with a customer or prospect across my entire enterprise, and gives me data I can analyze %26amp; use for action. Some people might call it a "front office" system because it's customer-facing (marketing campaigns, support %26amp; service history, sales actions,etc.), as opposed to a Management Information System that people might call a "back office system" because it's more of an internal thing (financials, inventory management, forecasting, etc).





As a practical example a marketing information system can be used for managing %26amp; executing campaigns, targeting specific markets, tracking responses, etc. When I look at the analytics (click-thrus, promo fulfilments, leads created, etc) it gives me an idea of what people are/aren't responding to. I learn what campaign %26amp; messaging is effective %26amp; which isn't. I can analyze my marketing spend vs. results to fine-tune my marketing plan. And I can also generate a profile of who my customers are... to find demographic profile data so I can find more like them. For the bonus points good marketing should cross-reference that data against sales results and forecasts... resulting in a "REAL WORLD" results anaylsis of marketing "bang for the buck." Additionally, customer analysis is also of value... it can validate/correct our presumptions (e.g. we might think our customers are an X type of businesses, but looking at our data, we might find out they really are a Y type of business).





A marketing information system vs. marketing research? In my opinion the first is a tool, whereas the other is an exercise or data point.
Reply:May be feasibility study

tooth bleaching

No comments:

Post a Comment